Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's cold and flu season

Ben and I are going through his first cold together. This didn't sound like it would be too bad at first. He did some coughing and sneezing and seemed more tired than usual. However, what I didn't know is that for a baby a cold can turn nasty very quickly. I didn't think I would even need to go to the doctor for this, but I am glad that I did.

I took Ben to the doctor and they listened to him and heard some wheezing in his chest. So they gave me a hand held inhaler to give him albuterol. I took him home after he tried the inhaler a few times at the doc and thought that things would be fine. Well, for the rest of the evening he did not do very well, at least not to me. He kept waking up and looking at me as if he could not breath. He would try to cry out and he turned all red and would not take a breath until I picked him up and set him upright. It seemed to take forever for him to take a breath.

It just kept happening over and over again. We stood in the bathroom with the shower running hot steam, and used the meds we were given according to the instructions. I gave him as much to drink as he wanted. (when he could breath ok) After this happened about 4 times, I called Rob and said that I was taking Ben to the ER because I was too scared for him to keep struggling to breathe.

Well, when we got there his oxygen count was 99 percent which is great. They also told me he was no longer wheezing and that I must have done everything right. We figured that what was happening is that his nose would get so stuffed up that he would try to breathe out of it and instead of trying to breath through his mouth he would just hold his breath because he didn't think he could breathe. This was our best guess of what might be going on.

I took him home and continue giving him treatments of albuterol and ran the humidifier and used the nose aspirator constantly to relieve his congestion. He woke me up almost every hour on the hour that night completely clogged. And he HATES that nose aspirator. It is like wrestling with a little alligator trying to get stuff out of that nose.

There were some sweet moments though in the midst of all the craziness. I felt Ben and I bonding even more than ever. When I held him in the bathroom while we were breathing in steam, he would lean on me and play with my hair or massage my shoulder. I think he just likes being near me when he is sick. That made it easier for me to deal with everything that was going on. There has been a lot of cuddle time.

I noticed he was feeling better today. It was so great to hear him babble and coo with a big grin on his face today.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ahh! Julia is sick too! It's so heartbreaking because you just want to make them feel all better and there isn't a whole lot you can do. And I don't think any baby likes the nose aspirator! I tell ya, every time I use it, you'd think I was killing Julia. She screams like bloody murder. Here's to cold season being done and all our babies feeling better!