Monday, February 4, 2008

My little disciple

This past Friday night and Saturday there was a motherhood conference that I attended. I learned a lot of good information that I found to be very helpful.

At the beginning were some questions: "Am I valuable if all I do for the next 20 years is "mother" my small bunch of children? Am I going to have regrets? Is this project really worth my life?

Our first tendency is to pour our lives into other people besides our children. But we talked about how "Your own children will be your first and true disciples."

2Corinthians 3:2,3 "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts."

Our children are to be our letter to this world. Our children watch everything we do and model the behavior of their parents. I was convicted, that I need to change my behavior to be more like Christ so that Benjamin has more to live up to than what I have so far.

We talked about how our mothering should be an outpouring of our relationship with Christ. And that or relationship with Christ should be what we want our children's relationship with Christ to be. However, none of us are perfect and we are all works in progress.

Hebrews 10:14 says "because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."

I am so glad that we can have a close, personal, intimate relationship with Christ and that He cares more about or character than our comfort. Some of the times I have learned the most from Him have been difficult times. Don't get me wrong. I do not want difficult times. I avoid pain. I do everything I can to avoid it. But our Heavenly Father knows we need it in order to change our evil behavior. Just the same as our children do. I am glad God is in charge of shaping me, because I would not willingly put myself through difficult circumstances in order to get God's desired results.

I also have to love my son enough to give him the discipline that he needs to become more like Christ. This is going to be hard for me as well. I love that little boy and it will be hard and Rob and I are going to need God's help to train him in the way he should go.

It is going to be hard, but the Bible says that you reap what you sow. If you sow sparingly you will reap sparingly. I love my child and I really hope that I can learn to sow to the spirit, because he is learning by watching me. (and Rob)

1 comment:

Rob said...

I kind of had had the same thoughts about making sure I behave in a Christlike manner, especially since Ben was born. Rick Whitney's book, "Growing Up Whitney," had a lot to do with my thoughts on this as well. As far as any difficult times, just remember: we're in this together...:)